One application will be accepted per calendar year. Nonprofits must choose which focus area to apply under: Basic Human Needs, Education, Community Building, or Arts, Culture and Creativity. Nonprofits can apply for one focus area grant and a Women’s Fund grant.
Applicants must be an IRS-approved tax exempt nonprofit under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue code as described in IRC 501(c)(3) or a church or a tax-exempt school or other government entity, with a focus of serving Cass County, North Dakota, and Clay County, Minnesota, respectively. Fiscal sponsorships are accepted. Please reach out to Program Officer, Lexi Oestreich, for approval.
In reviewing applications, the Foundation will consider the following criteria:
- The extent to which the proposal addresses a community need, demonstrates broad-based community support, and provides benefits to the community at large.
- The extent to which the proposal maximizes community resources through cooperation and collaboration with other organizations in the community and the elimination of redundant services, programs or projects.
- The capacity of the applicant's organization and the staff to achieve the desired result.
- The sustainability of the proposed project without additional long-term financial commitments from the FM Area Foundation.
- Grant requests ranging from $500 to $15,000 will be considered.
- Operational support grants will be funded up to $5,000. Requests above this dollar amount must be for a project, program or collaborative effort.