One application will be accepted per calendar year. Nonprofits must choose which focus area to apply under: Basic Human Needs, Education, Community Building, or Arts, Culture and Creativity. In addition to a focus-area grant, nonprofits are also eligible to apply for a Women's Fund grant.
Applicants must be an IRS-approved tax exempt nonprofit under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue code as described in IRC 501(c)(3) or a church or a tax-exempt school or other government entity, with a focus of serving Cass County, North Dakota, and Clay County, Minnesota, respectively. Fiscal sponsorships are accepted with the completion and submission of your fiscal sponsorship agreement form. Every effort will be made to maintain a reasonable balance in awarding grants to various areas of need.
In reviewing applications, the Foundation will consider the following criteria:
- The extent to which the proposal addresses a community need, demonstrates broad-based community support, and provides benefits to the community at large.
- The extent to which the proposal maximizes community resources through cooperation and collaboration with other organizations in the community and the elimination of redundant services, programs or projects.
- The capacity of the applicant's organization and the staff to achieve the desired result.
- The sustainability of the proposed project without additional long-term financial commitments from the FM Area Foundation.
- Grant requests ranging from $500 to $15,000 will be considered.
- Operational support grants will be funded up to $5,000. Requests above this dollar amount must be for a project, program or collaborative effort.
- Event sponsorships are no longer managed through the grant round. For event sponsorship requests, please contact Lexi Oestreich.
- If you are applying on behalf of a university/college, please contact Lexi Oestreich for information regarding the FM Area Foundation's facilities and administrative fee policy.
- We are not currently accepting applications for workforce solutions, as we are committed to a three-year, community-wide, collaborative initiative with the United Way of Cass-Clay to address this issue. If you'd like to learn more, please contact Lexi Oestreich.
- Final report forms on awarded 2019 grants must be submitted prior to submitting a 2020 grant request.